If you cannot celebrate Thanksgiving without a good stuffing but don’t want to go to all the effort of making stuffing from scratch then why not try this easy recipe. This traditional cornbread stuffing will get you plenty of compliments, with your guests coming back for seconds.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 hot Italian sausages
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh sage, leaves chopped
- 4 large corn muffins
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup, chicken stock, plus more if needed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the casings from the sausages.
- Brown the sausage meat in a non-stick pan with a little bit of oil. Cook, making sure to break up the meat into small pieces as its browns. Once browned remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, you made the sausage in, fry the carrots, celery, and onion. Make sure to stir regularly
- Season the veg with salt, pepper, and some sage, cook for about 10 minutes until the veg turns soft. Once cooked set aside
- Crumble the corn muffins into a large mixing bowl, making sure to avoid large pieces.
- Add the eggs and half the chicken stock and stir.
- Add the sausage meat and veg and mix using your hands. If your stuffing is too dry, simply add more stock to the mixture.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the stuffing in the dish
- Bake for at least 45 minutes until the top is browned and crispy.
Pro tip: for serving size stuffing cups that are perfectly browned try placing your stuffing mixture in muffin tins instead of a larger baking dish