This old fashioned candied sweet potato recipe is guaranteed to be a big hit at your next meal. This recipe is super easy and will elevate any meal and the roasted marshmallows and pecans make it perfect for any occasion.
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease the baking dish
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 lemon, sliced and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted pecans
- 3 cups marshmallows, regular size or small depending on your preference.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in brown sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower and simmer while stirring until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch wedges. Make sure to get the potatoes cut to similar sizes.
- Place in a separate large pot of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. Potatoes should give a bit when poked with a fork, but not be cooked completely through
- Drain the potatoes and arrange in a single layer in a buttered 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour the syrup over the potatoes and stir gently making sure to cover all the potatoes with some syrup
- Place lemon slices on top and bake for 35 minutes, spooning syrup over potatoes twice during that time.
- Potatoes are done when they are tender when pierced with a fork
- Remove from the oven, remove the lemon slices, and gently stir in the pecans.
- Arrange the marshmallows evenly on top.
- Place back the potatoes back in the oven turning it up to 400 degrees F and cooking until the marshmallows puff up and turn slightly brown approximately 10 more minutes.