Eggnog is a holiday classic that many people love. While store-bought eggnog is easily available at Christmas time, nothing beats the taste of homemade eggnog and with this easy recipe, you can make a creamy cup of eggnog every time.
The key to any eggnog is tempering the eggs and often times this can be a little tricky. To avoid scrambling the eggs you need to slowly add the heated cream mixture to the whipped yokes. When you do this you need to stay calm and go slow, making sure to add some heated mixture and then mix it in distributing the heat before adding more.
Once you have combined all the ingredients you can safely heat the entire mixture without the eggs curdling. You can remove it from the heat when the mixture leaves a thick coat on the back of a spoon. While this holiday treat is great as is, you can also add some bourbon or rum for an added kick. For a unique flavor you can add amaretto to the ready eggnog which gives it a slightly sweet nutty flavor. For the perfect eggnog every time, just follow the simple recipe below.
- 2 cups milk (full cream is best but 2% works just as well)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. bourbon, amaretto or rum (optional)
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Combine your milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the yokes turn pale.
- Slowly add some of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks in batches to temper the eggs making sure to whisk well while adding each batch.
- Once all the heated milk mixture has been added to the mixing bowl, pour the combined mixture back into the pot and cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens and forms a layer of the back of a spoon. Make sure not to bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly. Once the mixture has cooled for a few minutes you can add the heavy cream and for an extra kick, you can add the rum, bourbon or amaretto.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- When ready to serve, garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.
Eggnog is best served cold and perfect for your next holiday party or get together.