Looking for a devilishly indulgent way to up your veg intake? Look no further than this health-conscious, scrumptious carrot cake. It’s packed with vitamin-rich carrots, walnuts and coconut. This recipe is also a perfectly suitable treat for our gluten-intolerant readers.
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
450g tin crushed pineapple, drained
5 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 large eggs
250g cream cheese (for a dairy-free option, substitute for coconut yoghurt)
50g coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and prepare your 20cm round cake tin.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together, making sure there are no lumps.
3. Add all wet ingredients, then carrot and mix well.
4. Bake for 45-55 minutes until cooked, or until a metal skewer or a knife comes out clean.
For the icing:
1. Beat the cream cheese and coconut oil for 2 minutes or until combined.
2. Add the coconut sugar and beat with an electric beater until well combined, the icing should become a light caramel color.
3. Top with coconut shavings, chopped walnuts and apricots and devour with friends and family!