As more and more people are committing to making eco-conscious lifestyle choices, veganism is on the rise. A plant-based diet is not only healthy, it also means your food is cruelty-free and bursting with nutrition that comes straight from the earth. While there are so many dairy and meat alternatives on the market, keeping your vegan meals inventive can be a little tricky. This naturally vegan and gluten-free meal is the perfect Fall dish. It’s hearty, flavorful and takes just 30 minutes to whip up. Sweet potato is rich in Vitamin A, low in sodium and packed with dietary fibre. Yum!
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 can chickpeas
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked paprika
1 pinch sea salt or lemon juice
For the Garlic Herb Sauce:
1/4 cup hummus or tahini
1/2 medium lemon, juiced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Water or unsweetened almond milk
Sea salt to taste
1/4 cup diced cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a large baking sheet with foil. Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise.
2. Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
3. Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet. Place in the oven, they should take about 25 minutes to cook through.
4. While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
5. Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
6. Remove tray from oven. Flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately!