There is no better way to start your day than with a pile of fluffy, wholesome, utterly delicious pancakes. We’ve given everyone’s favorite breakfast a superfood makeover by adding blueberries and bananas to the mix. Blueberries might be tiny but they pack an enormous nutritional punch. They’re low in calories and loaded with fibre, anti-aging antioxidants, manganese and Vitamin C!
1 cup skim milk (or milk substitute)
1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons oil
1 banana, mashed
3⁄4 cup fresh blueberries
1. Pour the lemon juice into the milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl: whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
3. Stir the milk/ vinegar mixture, then mix in the egg whites, oil, maple syrup and mashed banana.
4. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just blended. Be careful not to over mix! You can add another splash of milk if the consistency is a little too thick.
5. Heat a frying pan to medium heat. Grease the pan with butter and spoon the mixture into the pan, the size is up to you! Place several blueberries on the pancakes. Cook until golden to medium brown, the edges appear dry, and bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Flip and cook through (the second side will cook much faster).
6. Serve with butter, sliced banana, and maple syrup and enjoy!