Who says you can’t have your cupcake and eat it too? This fabulous recipe is going to satisfy your sweet tooth and placate that inner health nut. This recipe makes use of guilt-free sugar alternatives, gluten-free oats, and antioxidant-rich dark chocolate. Yum!
1 3/4 cups gluten-free oats
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hot water
100-g good-quality dark chocolate, 70-85%, finely chopped
Marshmallow Frosting Ingredients:
2/3 cup agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with silicone cupcake liners, then lightly spray with oil.
2. Pour oats into a food processor. Process until very finely ground, about 2 min. Add cocoa, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whirl until well combined, about 1 min.
3 Whisk egg whites with applesauce, yogurt, agave, and vanilla in a large bowl until combined. Add to food processor along with hot water. Whirl until combined, about 1 min.Let the batter stand until thickened, about 20 min.
4. Stir chopped dark chocolate into thickened batter. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 25 to 27 min.
For the frosting:
1. Combine agave syrup with 2 tbsp water and vanilla in a small saucepan and set
over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
2. Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar on high in the bowl of a stand mixer, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 1 min. Slowly pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the bowl, beating until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 more min. Frosting should hold its airy texture. Top the cooled cupcakes with the frosting and garnish with grated dark chocolate.